Too Little Too Late...

  I think our country is amongst a very pivotal time where conversations about race and ethnicity permeate every facet of our lives. I would like to assume that American health systems are created equal and that everyone who seeks care will be afforded the same treatment and passion they deserve for being human, however, as a Black man in America I know that is not true. As with most major American institutions, healthcare needs to undergo drastic reform before it can truly attest to equality for everyone. There is a very blatant lack of representation of Black health professionals in the United States and it is reflected in the mortality rates of Black Americans across multiple health statistics. The effects can be seen in the overwhelming rate of Blacks who died from COVID as compared to other races or even the alarming high mortality rate of Black mothers who die during pregnancy or while giving birth. According an analysis conducted by NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Bureau of Maternal, Infant and Reproductive Health  "A 2016 analysis of five years of data found that black, college-educated mothers who gave birth in local hospitals were more likely to suffer severe complications of pregnancy or childbirth than white women who never graduated from high school". I am not fabricating these disparities. These are the realities of our Black patients.

Aside from the lack of representation, there are numerous concepts and myths being taught to future healthcare providers in 2021.No one is working to reverse the miseducation of the people who will have soon have Black Lives in there care as licensed professionals. When I ask the question of why antiquated concepts such as BMI and creatinine clearance are still being used today, the answer is often along the lines of "I don't know, I know someone should do something about it, but we quite haven't made it around to that yet". That is not a direct quote but the sum of replies I've heard from people who are currently licensed to treat patients. In my opinion it is reflective of how American health systems actually see their Black and Brown patients.

I know that the only way to change the system is to be a part of it and fix it from the inside. My goal is to increase representation not only for Black Americans, but so that every patient will feel safe when they seek help. It is my life's work as a pharmacist to make the entire community better through health and although we are far from that point right now, I do not think hope is completely lost. 

Comments